Monday, November 1, 2010

The Brothers Bloom


With a film like The Brothers Bloom the term quirky gets thrown around a lot. I don't think it was quirky, it was highly-stylized with an eccentric sense of humor. I'm also going to resist the comparisons to Wes Anderson. It's not like one of his movies at all - seems like anything oddball gets a Wes Anderson reference in the review these days and that's total BS. The Brothers stands on its own as a film that doesn't need to be compared to be talked about.

It focuses on two brothers who were moved from foster home to foster home as youngsters and developed into con artists along the way. The premise centers around the last con the younger of the two brothers (Bloom) is willing to participate in. As it's a con artist movie I'm not going to go into the story details. What I will say is it's a lot of fun and Rachel Weisz is fantastic - the highlight of the film.

It's definitely not a movie everyone is going to like - it's very character driven. The story may be predictable in some ways but the story isn't all important in this film. The interaction and arcs of the characters are both the center-point and most affecting part of this film. It's a bit sad and a bit sweet with a lot of goofiness in between.

Overall I enjoyed this movie. I wouldn't rush to watch it again (it drags a bit here and there) but it made for a fun afternoon's entertainment and, I'll mention it again, Rachel Weisz was absolutely great.

I'd rate The Brothers Bloom a 7 out of 10. Good, silly fun with great characters.


No comments:

Post a Comment