Friday, November 5, 2010

Easy Virtue


I just finished watching this film, I'd never heard of it before. I simply chose it off the On Demand list because it was free and Colin Firth was in it (I love me some Firth).

The film is about an ambitious American woman - a race car driver - who marries a young Englishman on a bit of a whim and travels home with him to meet and stay with his family.

This is a period piece (I've got a weakness for them as well) and the English family acts very much with the period. Very stuffy with an overbearing matriarch and a dour, almost absent father.

The family, apart from Dad, does not approve of the new wife who is played rather well by Jessica Biel. She tries her best to fit in with the family and their ways but meets with resistance and reproach with every turn. She finally decides to stop trying to change herself and flaunts her different style of behavior much to family's chagrin.

It's mostly a comedy with loads of wonderful dry English wit. I enjoyed it. I dare say much of my enjoyment came from the fact that Firth had a great character to play and performed a sexy dance near the end of the film. I would have liked it had he not been it in but certainly not as much.

I would rate Easy Virtue a 6 out of 10. For those who like period English comedies I would totally recommend it. For those who don't, I would stay away, you'll find it boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment