Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Aaah Zombies! Movie Review


First get past the horrible title. I know that takes a minute so I'll wait...

I did some reading on this movie and found that the original title was Wasting Away. That's better, not a whole lot but definitely better. I don't know why it was changed. Either way, we're past that now.

This is a low budget film. Unfortunately that is painfully obvious, mostly through the editing. The writing is surprisingly quite good and the acting is better than I imagined it would be. So, you can tell I wasn't expecting much from this film... I was wrong to prematurely judge it.

The idea of the film is that four friends accidentally turn themselves into zombies (contaminated soft serve ice cream and beer) but don't realize they are zombies. In fact, no one who is a zombie realizes that's what they are. They think everyone else has been infected. It's a clever idea that any zombie-phile is sure to appreciate.

To show the different perspectives of the zombies versus the humans the filmmakers use black and white and color. It's a fun idea and it's not badly done. But the movie didn't hold my attention. I tried because I really wanted it to. It really came down to the editing, it's just awful. Every scene goes on too long - every scene. That can make any movie hard to watch no matter how original, how well written, how well acted, how well anything.

Overall I'd recommend this movie only to serious zombie lovers and only then because it is different and clever. Here is my favorite bit of dialogue:

Tim: I don't feel like a zombie.

Nick: Yeah well idiots don't feel stupid but they are.

I'd rate Aaah Zombies! a 5 out of 10. It could have been funnier and is in serious need of a tighter edit but it stands out as an original film in a genre that usually only sees variations.


No comments:

Post a Comment